Wednesday, March 4, 2015

BRAIN INJURY AWARENESS - THE THIRD PERSON EFFECT




A SISTER TOLD ME WE DON'T RECOVER FROM BRAIN INJURY WE REBUILD!

The hardest part about rebuilding oneself after brain injury for me is: In order to rebuild properly you have to see how ugly the current behavior is.

One of the effects of my brain injury (mine was a major brain aneurysm and stroke) is what I call the third person effect.

I find my own behavior so out of character so way not me and so wrong I can only liken it to or describe it to a non brain injured person like this. It's like watching your own behavior as a third person.

I find myself fixating and having emotional outbursts on something or insisting I'm right when I couldn't be more wrong!

Even after repeated attempts by loved ones telling me how wrong I am!

Unfortunately this realization doesn't happen until after I realize I have really hurt loved ones. I find this to extremely hurt inside me.

Am I alone with this issue?

If it was not for the true and faithful love of my family, I would have been placed in a home long ago!

But I, unlike many of my fellow stroke survivors around the world who are rejected by spouses and or family members because of their stroke I am loved like no other!

I'm a very grateful man for my family that steadfastly love me!

With love,
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment